Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas in Los Angeles

Ahhh...it was nice to see palm trees for Christmas! We had a truly wonderful trip back home to California to see all of my family. It was a last minute decision, but we're glad we decided to go! Nana hadn't seen Ben since he was 2 months old, so it was great to have her see him again. My family is really big into the dice game, Farkle... so...we played that and Five Crowns. My cousin Brooke and I and my Aunt had a blast making Lefse (A Norweigan bread we make and have been making for generations). The food was yummy and we laughed a lot. Ben was decorated like a Christmas tree by my Uncle Jerry - that was too funny. My mom's younger sister, Jae and I had a riot getting lost on our way (only 9 miles) to Trader Joes!! And then we couldn't get away from it! La Palma.....soooo......(ok, that's an inside joke that only her and I get!). Needless to say, the next time I go anywhere with her, I'm bringing my camelback with lots of water! It felt like that movie National Lampoons European Vacation.....Look kids, there's Big Ben.....Ah..there's Big Ben again! Look...Big Ben! On the 27th, we opened up goofy gifts and they were all too entertaining. The funniest was Jae with her "magic wand" granting people wishes.....brriiinnng.....or maybe it was when we all put on our heart-shaped sunglasses (or reindeer antlers). I don't know, it's a toss up. The day we left, we took Ben to the Discovery Science Museum in Santa Ana and then to the Rainforest Cafe next to Disneyland -- he really loved seeing the elephant and gorillas come to life! And then it was back to.....snow and ice. Need I say more??
The Mills Family being goofballs! Max's butt is hiding Mario!
Aunt Jackie, Me, Ben and Aunt Jae at Sunset Beach
Walking on Sunset Beach
Me, Aunt Jae, Nana, and cousin Brooke playing Farkle Jae, playing Five Crowns Jenny - Five Crowns Brooke and Auntie playing Five Crowns
Ben's introduction to Farkle (with the bouncy dice)
Me and Nana
Ben and Annie playing the saxophone and trumpet!
At Sunset Beach
Ben sitting just like cousin Russell
Hey, that slinky is pretty cool! Hey, I look like a Christmas tree! This is fun! Brooke, Jackie, and Jenny getting started with the Lefse
My cousin making those delicious cookies!!
Me and Auntie having fun reading Llama, Llama Red Pajama
Uncle Jerry letting me "ride" Max
Me and my cousins (Brooke and Kim) setting the table
Brooke and Kim goofing around
Ben and cousin Nick laughing
Ben on Uncle Jerry's motorcyle - he LOVED IT!
Uh, oh....

2 comments:

Sharlyn said...

I didn't know you guys went to Cali for Christmas. Looks like you had a great time. Farkle is such a fun game...we should get together and play!

The Kuhns said...

Yes, we should get together and play! We love it! The palm trees were calling us...we had to do it!