Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hutterite Colony

Let me just preface this by saying that we had always wanted to tour one of the Hutterite Colonies in Montana and it was one of the last things we did before we left....which was kind of nice, actually. We went to the Fairhaven Colony in Ulm. The tour opened our eyes to how different our lives are from the Hutterites. It was pretty apparent that they are extremely hard working and very meticulous. On the tour, we got to see their church, the dairy cows (where we learned all about how they feed the calves), the garden where they grow all the vegetables, the kitchen and food storage areas, the area where they process their eggs from the henhouse, and the pigpen. We were even allowed to see one of their private homes, which showed how simple they live.
My aunt and my cousin in front of their garden
In the dairy area
I thought this was sweet....the girls would hold Ben's hand
on our walks to different areas
The hen house -- Ben petting a little chick
A Hutterite boy and Ben.....they all played so well together
The community laundromat
He totally looks like he belongs!!!!
Mario got this one of me running to the sign for
a picture
My cousin Nick, my Aunt Jae, me, and my cousin Russell
The GORGEOUS wheat field outside the colony
us getting INTO the wheat field!
It was so cool to be in there! It felt like you were in
a field of feathers!!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Okay, so the shirt you are wearing in your family picture on the blog title, I think I have the SAME EXACT shirt! WEIRD?!

Anyway, cute pics and Ben is huge! What a fun time!

The Kuhns said...

Did you get it from Maurices by chance?